Thursday 14 April 2011

Fun things to Make & Do

Last night, my sewing machine fell out of the car.  You could hear me crying, "no no no noooo" all the way down the street.  I was prepared to cry myself to sleep, but apart from a few scratches and a blown lightbulb, she's working perfectly.  Relief.

My machine and I have made all sorts of crazy things over the years... from goose costumes to marionettes to a giant gingerbread man - and that was just for one production!
My latest crazy thing doesn't seem very crazy right now.  After Easter, when I can explain to you how it has to work and what it's for, you'll understand just how crazy it is.
But for now all I can really tell you is that the great wad of fabric in this picture is 7 metres long, and 6 metres wide. 

Last night we had 3 of us feeding it through the sewing machine.  Tonight, it's just me.  Which is fine, because all the pieces are joined so it's less work.  My dining room floor's really not the best place for something so white.  You never know how many bits of dried-up chicken or noodles are under there.

In fact, tonight the dining room's being generally unhelpful.  The light's blown - it fell from the ceiling with great drama.  Darling Husband put it back up, but it won't go.  It's protesting.  As the sewing machine light's also protesting, I'm improvising with a lamp.


Note the cushion.  I am so short.  My Mum used to have a Holden Monaro.  She had to have a cushion to drive it.  It was a beautiful car, big and red, with a black stripe down the middle.  It had pearlescent paint, so it glowed in the sunlight.  Mum could do burnouts at the school gate.  But it was a protestor.  Wouldn't go just when you needed it - in the rain, on the way to the airport, collecting kids from school.  The last straw was it's failure to start at a friend's wedding.  The Monaro was a complete let-down as a bridal car.  I think Dad kicked it that day.  After that, we got a van.  Goodbye cool car.  Hello reliable van.  I was explaining to my kids about us not needing back seats in vans, back when I was young.  We had bean-bags. 
None of that has anything to do with the giant roman blind I am making (no, that's not really giving anything away).  But I like to ramble. 
Night-night little cyber friends, sleep tight!

No comments:

Post a Comment