Friday 6 May 2011

Little People

I adore newborn babies.  You can just pour your love on them. 

I love one-year-olds.  They're sweet and routined, and easy to care for. 
Two and three year-olds?  They can be a challenge, let's be honest! 


There are tears... and tantrums.  Their language hasn't caught up with their brain, so they find it difficult to express themselves.  And even if they did - would we really want to know? 

I'm not going to list this child's misdemeanours - he has had a challenging toddlerhood.  As a baby he was practically perfect in every way... he slept and fed like a dream.  Then he woke up and realised that everyone else could move, and he couldn't.  Frustration set in, he was so determined to move he taught himself to roll all around the house - he even rolled down the stairs (ouch!). 
A similar thing happened when he turned two - everyone else could talk and he couldn't.  He's spent the past 18 months screaming at us. 


He never stopped being cute.  He just wanted to be in control.  He does give the best hugs in our whole family - if you can get one out of him!


Lately his language has flourished.  He says some extremely cute things.  I tell him he's cute.  His response is "I'm not cute - I'm happy!".  So cute!!
We had a brilliant day at home together today.  I was cleaning the girl's room - it was long overdue for a proper blitz.  My little helper found the window cleaner and the dish brush, and scrubbed the windows for me.  We went to the shops and he didn't run off or throw himself on the ground once.  I was so delighted I had to feed him iceblocks.

Every season comes to an end eventually.  I can see we're beginning to turn a corner.  It makes all that consistent and (sometimes) patient discipline worth it. 
Raise your teacups with me friends, here's to a new day!

No comments:

Post a Comment