Thursday 12 May 2011

My Bedroom

Hello friends... I have to say I'm slightly eating my words.  Since my last post that little tiger bit someone at kindy, performed unspeakable acts against my car, and threw his jeans into a sanitary bin while I was outside the toilet cubicle yelling, "don't do that! Unlock this door immediately!"
Sigh.  It's been a trying day.
However, I did have a few moments (while he was glued to Vegetales, ok) to photograph one of my favourite spots in our home.
I've always endeavoured to keep our bedroom a "sanctuary".  Occassionally it gets a little messy, but I don't let it stay that way.  I discovered in my late teens that I cannot sleep in a mess.  I lie awake all night thinking about how long it will take me to clean it up.  So I keep our room free from unfolded laundry, toys, kids books, and kids!  It helps that it's downstairs, away from the rest of the house.  I tried to keep it free from the cat.  I tried, and I failed. 



I know I'm in the shot... I took one without me in it... but you can't see my cool boots.  If I'm not careful I wear them every day.  They are so super comfortable, stylish and just "me".  The "Smoker's Bow" chair has wonky legs.  I stole it from my Dad and re-covered it.  The suitcase is my late grandfather's, and holds cards, letters, and even my old ballet shoes.  I can't part with them.


The crystal set was my maternal grandmothers.  Her name was also Neva.  Her dressing table was much tidier than mine, I happen to have an explosion of bracelets and headbands happening at the moment.  I don't mind that.  It doesn't stop me sleeping.


And this is our sleigh bed.  The crooked pillows are really annoying me.  How unprofessional.  Oh wait, I'm not a professional!!! 
I did the collages.  The middle one has Psalm 18:32-36 scratched into it.  It's not legible.  That's just how I roll.


My husband made me this bedside table.  I really like it - it doesn't go with anything else in the room, it's more rustic and edgy, where the rest of the room is romantic and "old" looking.  But I like the element of surprise it brings.  That, and the handy storage.  I usually have a stack of books and magazines twice that big, but I've been trying to be sensible this year. 
The yawning baby is our eldest.  He was a beautiful baby.  He's a beautiful child.  His eyelashes are incredible.  The apple is from Franschhoek in South Africa, a gift from my lovely Neighbour Joe and Carol, his lovely girlfriend.  Her name's not really Carol.  My kids can't say Racquel.  It's the funniest thing.
What I didn't photograph, because the sun was beating in, are the two sets of French doors which lead out to a courtyard.  It's currently an overgrown courtyard, but when it's all tidy and the vege garden's flourishing, it's a great place to be.  The chickens used to greet me there every morning.  Oh how I miss their cute clucking, and their lovely fresh eggs!

No comments:

Post a Comment