Saturday 14 May 2011

Psalm 18 + Habakkuk

I mentioned Psalm 18 in my "Bedroom" post.  Should have called it "Le Boudoir" or something fancy.  But I didn't. 
I love Habakkuk 3: 17 - 19. 
God first began to speak to me from this verse while I was out running (up a big hill, ironically). 

"Though the fig tree should not blossom,
And there be no fruit on the vines,
Though the yield of the olive should fail,
And the fields produce no food,
Though the flock should be cut off from the fold,
And there be no cattle in the stalls,
Yet I will exult in the Lord,
I will rejoice in the God of my salvation.
The Lord God is my strength,
And He has made my feet like hinds' feet,
I can run on my high places."

 I also love Psalm 18: 29-36, it ties in beautifully. 

"For by You I can run upon a troop;
         And by my God I can leap over a wall.
    As for God, His way is blameless;
         The word of the LORD is tried;
         He is a shield to all who take refuge in Him.
    For who is God, but the LORD?
         And who is a rock, except our God,
    The God who girds me with strength
         And makes my way blameless?
    He makes my feet like hinds' feet,
         And sets me upon my high places.
    He trains my hands for battle,
         So that my arms can bend a bow of bronze.
    You have also given me the shield of Your salvation,
         And Your right hand upholds me;
         And Your gentleness makes me great.
    You enlarge my steps under me,
         And my feet have not slipped."

I like to keep these scriptures in front of me.  They really do encourage me to keep praising God, keep rejoicing in my salvation, and also to remember that we are in a battle.  Daily I must bend that bow.  Daily I must use the shield of salvation.  Daily I must run on the high places. 
We are upheld by His right hand, He does not let us slip.  But we must be armed, fit, and ready... each and every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment