Wednesday 9 March 2011

Robot Wallet Tutorial

Hey friends!  Thought I'd surprise y'all with a little tutorial. 
Disclaimer: I am not a very professional sewer, more a "whipper upper".  Perfect is not my middle name.  Neither is Tallulah.  Just so ya know.


This is the front pocket of my son's school shorts - they were getting a bit thin in the backside, so I cut all the pockets off - thought they might come in handy!  I decided to make him a wallet, just in case he suddenly springs into a fit of chore-completion.  I'm prepared.  Any time, son...


I found some nice pale blue corduroy for the backing.  Here's the tutorial bit:
Cut backing to size.  Cause ya couldn't figure that out on your own!  Don't worry, it gets better.
At this stage, it's very important not to spill your Earl Grey tea. 


If you did spill your tea, or like me, just plain finished it, go make another.  While the jug's boiling, whip out your handy-dandy bar of soap, and mark your preferred width of wallet - most pockets are too wide.  So you just cut that bit off.

 Decorate the front of your wallet.  Boys can be tricky, but we like robots.  I thought about arms & legs, and realised that it could be the very last thing I make if I attempted them.  So - this robot has button wheels.  Beware - most children will ask "where are his arms?".  Prepare answer while completing robot.


Then fold your wallet up so you can make sure Mr Robot's in the correct place.  This is a very important step - don't skip it!!  Press your fabric before fixing Mr Robot in place. 

                            

I drew his face on with permanent marker.  I was going to glue him down, in fact, I did glue him down.  Then I remembered the monsters and teapots incident, and stitched him on too.  It really didn't take that long, and alleviates future frustration. 


Now with right sides together, sew around your wallet.  Leave a generous gap for turning your wallet right-side-out, especially if you're using denim - it's really thick. 


Take a break while you make a very nice ice-cream sandwich, for a child who ate two dinners and was still hungry.  Ballet and tennis today - makes a girl peckish!  She has a wiggly tooth, can you tell?

While you're making dessert, turn right-side out, trim seam allowance and snip corners.  Then stitch closed.
 

Stitch on some snaps.
 

Make another ice-cream sandwich - this little shooga boog got the ballet trophy today.  The boys were too busy to eat dinner tonight.  And I was too busy to make any more ice-cream sandwiches.


And voila!  Here is our cute robot wallet!  He may not have arms, but he doesn't need them.  He has LASERS. 

No comments:

Post a Comment