Wednesday 16 March 2011

What's for dinner?

It's a really good question, isn't it... what's for dinner?  We went to the supermarket today.  Me and my boy.  I love my days at home with him, he's cute and funny, and we just potter about together. 
At the supermarket, he hopped into one of the boxes behind the checkout and began "driving" it.  When we got home, he did the same...


One day I will post a picture which will reveal the true source of his blonde hair... meanwhile, I'm happy to keep you hanging!
We are going away this weekend, and the kids are staying with friends.  Which meant our Pak n Save visit was just to top up on a few things and get something to cook for dinner.  We found cannellini beans (my favourite) 4 cans for $3.  A bargain!  We also found tomatoes 5 cans for $4.  So happy...
I really enjoy making dinner out of whatever I can find in the fridge.  I added to this some chicken and the 3 remaining veges in our fridge (there's nothing worse than coming home to rotting produce) and this was the result...

Onions, garlic, a tiny bit of minced chilli, paprika, chicken, carrot (1), zucchini (2).
2 cans of cannellini beans, 3 cans of tomatoes.
                          

A huge dollop of tomato paste.  Let it meld into glory.
I didn't photograph the bit where I threw the cooked pasta into a baking dish and stirred this sassy little mixture through it.  But you get the idea.  Top with grated cheese, now, that's the best part!
Ok, I have to confess something - even better than eating that cheesy crust is the knowledge that this meal cost $12 (including chicken).  I got enough out of it to feed us tonight and another night (it's in the freezer) and dinner for our friends and the kiddos tomorrow night.  It's so easy to eat all your money.  I like being able to do other things with it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment